This is an urgent message.
50 minutes of dance-travel through the joyful and bitter universe of Mamu Tshi, a choreography steeped in the complexity of our relationship to others and to ourselves, plus a fabulous soundtrack, images, and lighting – a moving body-show in every sense.
“I am, because you are.”
“One man’s happiness is another man’s unhappiness. What happens when we are both? »
But what does all of this have to do with your hair or with Tribus Urbaines? Well, isn’t your beauty a permanent subject of dialogue between your physical, outer « envelope » and your soul? And at Tribus Urbaines, we aim to take care of all aspects of your beauty. That’s the connection.
In the recent feature interview of Sylvie, Director of Tribus Urbaines, published in the 24heures on May 2, the journalist quotes: “At Tribus Urbaines, we treat curly, frizzy, and afro hair – in a word “textured” hair. But although hair is important to Sylvie Makela, the owner of this small business chain also hopes to touch on something deeper. In her salons, the shelves are filled with the classics in Afro-feminist literature, treatises on sociology, and books aimed at explaining diversity to children”
So go see Mamu Tschi on stage. Not only will it make you more beautiful, but you will help us, humanity, move towards a more beautiful world. And isn’t one of the principle aims of art to offer us new ideas; help us imagine new futures; open us up to new thoughts and possibilities; transmit marvelous ideas that inspire us to move in new directions?
And if you miss Mamu Tschi in Vidy, or if you want to see her again and hear her talk about her practice, don’t miss the upcoming 2nd edition of the Black Helvetia Festival, taking place during the two weekends of May 26-28 & June 2-4, 2023, in various cultural venues around the city of Neuchâtel.
Tribus Urbaines is a Festival partner (like for the first edition). And this year, the festival’s two themes are precisely on topic: Art and Beauty.
May: Art as a means of thinking outside of what is established and reasonable…
…art as a starting point for questioning and broadening the field of thought and freeing oneself from the conscious or unconscious mental prisons that lock us up. Art therefore, as introspective reflection, as a lever for change, but also and above all as a space to highlight black and Afro-descendant Swiss artists!
- Friday, May 26, literature will be in the spotlight with authors and personalities such as: Laura Nsafou, Licia Chery, Isis Labeau Cabeira, Flore Agnès Nda Zoa and Pamela Ohene-Nyako.
- Saturday, May 27, the program focuses on dance and cinema with dancers, directors, actresses and personalities such as Kayije Kagame, Mata Gabin, Rokhaya Balde, Rokhaya Diallo, Lēnablou, Mamu Tshi, Chloé Lopes Gomes, Laura Beaubrun and Anja Glover.
- Sunday, May 28 will be an afternoon for families with children, featuring storyteller Vi Indigaïa and her show “Bigidi,” accompanied by a delicious snack.
June: a reflection on the universality of beauty
- Friday, June 2, discussions and reflections will highlight creators, sociologists, and entrepreneurs such as: Juliette Sméralda, Nadeen Mateky, Marie-Belle Kambila Kankwende and Mireille Lembwadio.
- Saturday, June 3 will be the final « fireworks » of the program with a rich and intense day from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. featuring workshops, round tables, and a fashion show with Patricia Oguey, Naomimakeup Academy, Tribus Urbaines, BadGyal Cassie, Didi Stone, Whitney Toyloy, Sylvie Makela and Flore Calame.
And of course, don’t miss the traveling exhibition: “Black Helvetia – Being a black or Afro-descendant woman in Switzerland” – showing at the festival venue from May 16 to 30.
PS: Mamu Tshi is one of the three Tribus Urbaines ambassadors, alongside KT Gorique and Yilian Canizares. We brought together our 3 muses at the end of 2021 to celebrate the 4th anniversary of the Tribus Urbaines in Lausanne.
Here are some souvenir videos:
“… IN SHORT, BEAUTY IS EVERYWHERE. IT IS NOT BEAUTY THAT IS MISSING IN OUR EYES, IT IS OUR EYES THAT ARE MISSING TO SEE IT…”
The Black Helvetia Festival is offering 2 tickets to Tribus Urbaines clients for the “workshop and lunch” on Saturday June 3rd. Write to us before May 23, if you want to take advantage of it. We will draw the winners on Saturday May 27th.